Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Introduction

I have entitled this blog "Follower of the Resurrected Nazarene," because that is what I seek to be, a follower of Jesus. The reality is that some days I am more successful at following Him than others. My journey has had mountain tops and valleys, success and failure, joy, pain, suffering, and times of confusion. But I continue on in faith, and the joy has outweighed the pain.

I have been involved in, and identified with, a number of "movements" and "streams" within the evangelical world. I have come more and more to detest the labels that separate us from other believers and create a polarizing atmosphere. I am theologically eclectic because I do not believe that any group, denomination, movement, or theological system has possession of all the truth. I affirm the Apostle's and Nicene creeds without reservation. I believe in the continuation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but I don't like to be labeled as "charismatic." I believe in the essential elements of reformed theology, but I don't like to be labeled as "reformed." I believe in the core doctrines that define evangelicalism, but I have been helped by reading and listening to those who are Orthodox or Roman Catholic. I believe in what has been described as a "generous orthodoxy."

On Sunday mornings I lead a "house church," but during the week I work closely with a very traditional Evangelical Free church, where I teach at least a couple times a month. I am friends with people of all kinds of denominational backgrounds and theological perspectives.

I would describe my ministry these days as being "a shepherd to the weak in the valley of darkness." My ministry is primarily focused toward those in prison, and those dealing with addictions. I am teaching in prisons about four times a week, in addition to leading a recovery group for those dealing with addictions of various kinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment