Saturday, January 2, 2010

Speaking the Truth in Love

As a pastor of a doctrinally orthodox, theologically-focused church, I had for many years placed a great emphasis upon having what I could call the correct theological "plumbline." I saw myself as not only a guardian against heresy, but as a restorer of sound theology to the people I was called to shepherd. I saw the theological errors and the shallowness of thinking, that many were being exposed to and I sought to counter act that trend. Having studied Church history and theological development, I recognized that virtually all the heresies that arose within the first three centuries of the Church are present with us once again. (If you doubt this just turn on Christian television.)

Now, before I move on to my next statements, allow me to assure you that I still feel that same way today. I believe in the importance of sound theology. I have not in any way drifted from orthodoxy, nor have I diminished in my desire to see God's people delivered from the various heresies that prevail. I value the study of theology and church history.

Nevertheless, I recognize that at times I allowed my zeal for doctrinal correctness to overshadow the importance of maintaining an attitude of love for God's flock, some of whom may have strayed ignorantly into heresy. The context for the Apostle Paul writing, "speak the truth in love," was in regards to correcting theological error (see Ephes. 4:14-15). Truth and correction is to be given in an atmosphere of love. I have at times presented truth in an atmosphere of pride, contention, and self righteousness. Not unlike the Pharisees of Jesus' day. Jesus affirmed at least certain aspects of the Pharisees' teaching when He said, "Do as they say, but not what they do" (see Matt. 23:3). Therefore, it is possible to right in terms of what we say, but wrong in terms of our application. Even as it is possible to speak the truth, but not act in love. The issue is not simply to espouse correct theological doctrine, but to reflect the character of the One who is the source of truth.

Jesus said in John 13:34-35, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another." Given that this is a command, to violate it, is sin.

Francis Schaeffer wrote: "Upon His authority He (Jesus) gives the world the right to judge whether you and I are born-again Christians on the basis of our observable love toward all Christians." In other words, if the world questions our faith because we do not show love to other believers, it must be understood that they are only exercising the prerogative that Christ has given them. Schaeffer goes on to say, "We must not get angry. If people say, 'You don't love other Christians,' we must go home, get down on our knees, and ask God whether or not they are right. And if they are,then they have a right to have said what they said."

Let us bear this in mind as we go forth to correct those believers that have strayed into error. May we use the sword of the spirit with the gentleness of the surgeon using a scalpel, rather than like a butcher wielding a meat-clever.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for the reminder of the Truth in Love. dr. al :) You hit the nail on the head :)

    ReplyDelete