Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Three Mentors

We are all shaped, and influenced, by various people whom God has brought into our lives. The reality is that we all are the product of these teachers, counselors, parents, friends, etc. that have walked with us on our journey through life. Those who have been of great significance we often refer to as "mentors." I have had numerous mentors in my life to varying degrees. Some for a brief period, some in specific lessons, and some for many years, even into the present day.

There are three men, who more than any others, shaped me into the person I am today. (Please recognize that I acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ, who has not only shaped my life, but is my life, as being in a separate category. Far beyond that of earthly mentors.) These men are Ernie Gruen, Dennis Peacocke, and Bob Mumford. These men have through their teaching, counsel, correction, and care, formed my life and perspective. That does not mean, that I would be in "lock-step" agreement with everything they have said or taught. But I would say that their words have always carried alot of "weight" with me. (Please note: These men cannot be blamed for me and the "messes" I have made.)

Ernie Gruen went to be with the Lord last summer. I first met him thirty-two years ago. I was a young kid in the ministry and he was at that time, one of the most influential pastors in the Kanas City area. His church was the center of the Jesus people revival. He became a father to me. He taught me the "ropes" of the ministry. How to do weddings, funerals, counsel, and more. His lessons in the practical areas of ministry were worth more than 10 years in Bible college. I eventually went on the staff of his church, and later pastored one of four churches that we planted. Ernie had his faults and failings, as we all do. Ernie and I had our areas of theological disagreement, but I always knew he loved me as a father loves a son.

I first met Dennis Peacocke about 25 years ago in Dallas. He was in his early forties at that time, and pulled no-punches in delivering the message of the Kingdom. He attracted alot of young men like myself, who were ready to charge Hell with a water pistol. He was, and still is, controversial. Dennis taught me, challenged me, and caused me to re-think many things. I spoke a number of times for conferences Dennis hosted in Northern California. Through Dennis and his confidence in me, my ministry was extended far beyond my local area. I eventually served on the apostolic council for the network of churches (Kingdom Ministries International) that Dennis started. I oversaw our continuing education program for our pastors, and traveled to Europe and Central America with Dennis. It was always a joy for our family to have Dennis visiting from California. My kids remember those times well. Dennis Peacocke is president of Strategic Christian Services, which has a website called "The Transforum" (thetransforum.com) which I write for.

Bob Mumford mentored me in a completely different way. He has been a mentor to me through his tapes, books, and conferences. I have had only a few private conversations with him, he has never been in my home, nor I in his. We have not served in the ministry together, like I have with Ernie and Dennis. Yet he has imparted a great deal into my life. C.S. Lewis considered George MacDonald his mentor, though MacDonald died long before Lewis had read any of his books. MacDonald mentored Lewis from the grave through his writings. Likewise, Bob has spoken into my life and mentored me from a distance. I continually hear myself teaching others what he taught me. I do not believe it to be an exaggeration to say that I have listened to 5,000 hours of teaching from this man. For that reason alone I must consider him on this list. But in addition, it was Bob Mumford, who personally mentored Dennis Peacocke. Therefore, he "second generation" mentored me.

There are many others that I could mention who have been of great influence in my life, both living and dead, both through their books and personal contact. There are also those men who I view as "peers" that have played a major role in my life, and to whom I am greatly indebted. I will probably write more about that at a future date.

No comments:

Post a Comment