Sunday, August 29, 2010

Glenn Beck Rally

This is just a brief post to speak to my personal concerns and questions about the Glenn Beck "Restoring Honor" rally in Washington D.C. yesterday. Though there are undoubtedly things about it that are commendable i.e., honoring the military and a return to the founding principles of our nation, I have been concerned about comments that this was a "religious rally." Beck called the crowd of an estimated 500,000, to "return to God." That may sound good to the ears of some, but when I saw the pluralistic nature of this "revival atmosphere," I found that I must express my concern.

Beck, who is a Mormon, was not necessarily talking about the God of the Bible. He was not referring to the Trinitarian God of orthodox Christianity. He was talking about the deistic God of a pluralistic culture that honors religion, regardless of its creed. Not unlike what is presented in many ways by Oprah Winfrey. My concern is that Glenn Beck is presenting a "conservative spirituality" that is inclusive of all religious faiths.

A return to religion is not the answer for this nation. Jesus is the answer, not a "generic God."

Your comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment