Monday, January 2, 2012

Personal Update

One of the things I have resolved to do for 2012 is to post more on my blog. As a consequence, I am taking the time today to post a new personal update regarding my life and ministry. The year 2011 was an eventful one with both triumph and tragedy.

In November our daughter-in-law Raina was suddenly taken from us as a result of a rare myocardia virus. She entered the hospital,with what was thought to be pneumonia, on the evening of October 31 and suddenly went into cardiac arrest a few hours later. She was placed on life supports immediately and never regained consciousness. She was eventually taken off life supports after three days, and passed into the arms of our Lord. The last couple of years of Raina's life was a period of tremendous spiritual growth. She had entered into a closer walk with the Lord and had experienced a freedom from many of the things that had hindered her for so long.

My son, Eric, has been left alone to father the two girls, Alicia (14) and Haley (6). But God's grace has been evident in many ways. We have been able to see how God in His providence had been preparing the way for this event. My son is part of a very supportive church and this event has drawn us all closer. This is only a "tragedy" from the earthly perspective and the pain that we have all felt at the temporary loss of Raina. But because of Christ even this is a triumphant event.

This past year was also one of continuing fruitfulness with the prison ministry. I found myself unexpectedly receiving a good deal of recogition for what has been a major focus of my life for the past three years. I was given a national award by the Corrections Corporation of America and flown to Nashville to the corporate headquaters. As a result, the newspapers locally, and Christian radio nationally, called attention to my ministry to prison inmates. Prison Fellowship also did an interview with me about my work.

I teach, at this time, seven or eight Bible studies a week. These include my ministry in the prisons, churches, and home groups. I ministered at a conference in Costa Rica last year with my friend, Ted Sandquist, and spoke at a conference in Kentucky as well. I am not traveling like I did a few years ago, but the reality is I'm grateful to be free from all the air travel.

I "re-engaged" my relationship with Kingdom Ministries International a couple of years ago. This has been an additional blessing of God's grace toward me. I am most thankful to our Lord for the various ways He has demonstrated His mercy toward me. June and I remain involved here in Leavenworth with an Evangelical Free church, where we feel God has placed us. But we also have our house church in Raytown, Missouri, that I would describe as our "covenant family." It is there that we meet on the Lord's day for the breaking of bread, prayer, fellowship, and the study of God's Word.

Yesterday, January 1st, June and I celebrated 36 years of marriage. Without exaggerating June is my best friend and I am grateful to have her as my wife. All of of children, and sons-in-law, are walking with the Lord. Our relationship with each other continues to grow. In addition, our relationship with June's side of the family is closer than it has ever been.

I am looking forward to what God has in store for 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Don!

    Many blessings to you, June and the family in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete