Friday, February 19, 2010

The Confession of Sin

I just watched Tiger Woods' press conference and public confession. As one who has had to face his own sins and failures, confessing before those who had placed their trust in me that I had failed them, I was deeply moved. Having stood in that place of confession, I had great empathy for him. I felt his pain as it reminded me of my own just a few years ago. Though Tiger Woods is not a Christian, in fact he reaffirmed his Buddhist faith, it was nevertheless a courageous step toward the making of amends. He did not blame others, and he clearly took personal responsibility for his actions. I do pray that out of this crucible he would turn toward the One who offers true forgiveness.

I have found in my life that the exposure of our sins, though painful at the time, can be the stepping stone toward a closer walk with God. I serve a redemptive God, "who causes all things to work together for good toward those who love Him and are called according to His purpose" (Rom. 8:28). In our painful moments we sometimes feel as if the "valley" will never end. But if we embrace the Master, and the lessons He wants to teach us, we find the valley to be the place of renewal and growth. This was true with David, who was both an adulterer and a murderer. We have recorded for us in Psalm 51 and 32 his confession before God. I thank God it was preserved for us, and is a source of great strenghth, as we face the reality of our own sinfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment